Friday, October 22, 2010

giving

Isaiah 65-66, 1 Corinthians 16

 16:1 Now regarding your question about the money being collected for God's people in Jerusalem. You should follow the same procedure I gave to the churches in Galatia. 2 On the first day of each week, you should each put aside a portion of the money you have earned. Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once.

Do you think Paul was asking the Corinthian church for their tithe, or do you think he was asking for an offering?  Do you think he asked them to give weekly because there is something special about giving every seven days, or do you think the people typically got paid their wages daily or weekly?

It seems to me that we are expected to give far beyond a tithe.  And it seems to me that we should give a tithe and offerings to various ministries as soon as we get paid.

Heavenly Father, thank you for blessing me with a paid vocation.  I pray that we will be a good steward with all of the resources that you have given us, especially our financial resources.  Lord, please grow our hearts to be cheerful, generous givers.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment