Tuesday, March 6, 2012

faith and suffering

Mark 5:21-43

Jairus came to Jesus to ask Him to heal is daughter.  As they were traveling, a woman in the crowd had faith to touch Jesus's robe and was healed. 

34 And he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over."

Promptly, Jairus was informed that his daughter had died.

 36 But Jesus overheard them and said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid. Just have faith."


I am frustrated because I don't feel like I really understand what Jesus means by "faith" or "suffering". 

With this context, a reader might be inclined to perceive "faith" as "believing that Jesus will remove your suffering" or perhaps more generally, "believing that Jesus will remedy some situation or matter of concern".  I thought faith was believing that Jesus will remove your sins and fill you with His Holy Spirit. 

How bad does the suffering need to be before Jesus cares enough to remedy the situation?  My wife is exhausted, and we keep asking God to let our boys sleep through the night, but He doesn't.  Of course I believe that He can, but I am doubting that He will.  Catch twenty-two.  Dang.

Heavenly Father, I don't know how to trust you.  I feel like you are rather capricious with respect to healing people of their suffering.  Some religious nuts say, "name it and claim it", but I don't think that's right.  And hyper-calvinists might think that everything is already predetermined, so there is no sense in asking you for anything.  I feel like the truth is somewhere in the middle, but it feels really random.  Sort of like a pin-ball machine.  If I could just get the flipper to send the prayer at exactly the right time, with just the right words and momentum, I might hit the button that activates the suffering alleviation.  I want to trust you, but I don't think I do.  I love you, though.  And I am thankful for Jesus dying on the cross.  I want our relationship to be more than that, but not focused only on suffering minimization.  But suffering is hard, so I don't really know how to deal with it.  Please help me.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment