Friday, November 23, 2012

Visit with Uncle George

We drove up to Amarillo this afternoon to see Uncle George, Aunt Jackie, Justin, and Jordan.  We heard about a week ago that Uncle George's chemo wasn't working anymore.

I got to talk to Uncle George a little about teaching and what it means to be a PhD.

Later, Uncle George came and sat at our table while we ate dinner.  He still has his sense of humor.  He made several jokes about dying.  I was wondering how he could joke about something so serious, but I think he taught me this evening that the sadness of illness and dying should not crowd out the joy of life.  He is a model of choosing joy.

As we were leaving, Uncle George told me to take care of my wife and boys.  I told him that I would pray for him and his family.

Heavenly Father, please comfort my Uncle George in the illness that you have allowed him to experience.  Please give him strength and grace in the midst of pain; may he know your presence and love.  Please comfort his family; may they trust you and your loving kindness.  I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment