Tuesday, November 27, 2012

humility

1 Peter 5

In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,

"God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

I think it is interesting that verse 7 talks about anxiety, right on the heels of humility (pride).  Once you start getting prideful, then anxiety comes with it.  You end up being anxious about maintaining stuff to be proud of.  It's all pretty dumb when you look at it from this perspective.  At the end of the day, we are all just people.  Fragile, brief people.

I was thinking about how I have allowed my heart and mind to think about success from the world's perspective.  Just last night, I was calculating the average annual research revenue per faculty at my university and in my college and comparing "my" revenue to the average.  Sort of like King David taking a census of the people in "his" kingdom.  Pretty stupid.  God provides it all.  It is all from Him and loaned to me as an opportunity to advance the Kingdom of Christ.  In the academic culture, success is measured by journal publications and research dollars, but Jesus measures success by attitude/motivation and obedience. 

I was reminded of some lyrics in Lecrae's song "After the music stops":

I don't do this for the money; I don't do this for fame. I don't do this so the industry can know my name. I do this in hopes to glorify Yeshua that came.

Heavenly Father, please help me stay focused on you and your Kingdom.  Please deliver me from the illusion of being someone "important" in the world's eyes.  I am important because Jesus died for me, just like He died for everyone else in the whole world.  Help me see His love and share it.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment