Monday, May 18, 2015

elders

At the end of our church gathering yesterday morning, our elders appointed Brandi and me as an elder couple in our church.  Greg asked us to come to the front, and he laid a towel over our arms to signify the role of servant leadership.  Then the elders laid their hands on our shoulders and prayed over us. 

Yesterday, I felt the Lord impressing on me 1 Timothy 4:12, but yesterday morning, I read the verses around it, and I really felt the Lord confirming this servant leadership role in my heart:

1 Tim. 4:11 Command and teach these things. 12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14 Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you. 15 Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.


I am thankful for the opportunity to serve in this role.  I know that the Lord has grown me so much in the last two years, serving as an elder in training.  And I know that I will never have enough wisdom; but the Lord gives generously:

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

I know that I will always need to depend on His grace.  But I know that He will supply, because He is abundant in grace.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the opportunity for us to serve our congregation in this role.  I know that you are working in us and through us, and I know that you will bring to completion that which you have begun in us.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your example.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence and power. I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment