Sunday, September 10, 2017

courtroom analogy

One of my friends recently served on a federal drug trial, and as I read Romans 3 and 4 yesterday and today, I saw a courtroom analogy of faith and justification.  

God the Father is the Judge, Jesus is the defense attorney, the Holy Spirit is defense counsel, Satan is the accuser, I am the defendant, and the angels are the crowd. 

The accuser claims that I am guilty and submits evidence of every sin that I have ever committed.  At this point, it seems like the case is closed, and the sobering reality is that the punishment for any single sin charge is the death sentence.  

But then the defense counsel explains to me that my only hope of avoiding death is that there is another piece of evidence that could be submitted to the court: the perfect life, death, and resurrection of the defense attorney. However, in order for that evidence to be submitted to the court, I have to plead guilty to all charges and trust that the defense attorney will be able to save me. 

So, I plead guilty to all charges and put all of my faith in the defense attorney.  Faithful to His word, the defense attorney submits as evidence to the court, His perfect life, death, and resurrection.  And then several amazing things happen.  First, the Judge accepts the defense's evidence as complete fulfillment of the death penalty for every single charge.  Second, the Judge announces that I am NOT GUILTY, the case is closed, and I am a FREE MAN.  Third, the Judge destroys the evidence of every single one of my sins.  

As the crowd celebrates the announcement, the defense attorney hires me to be part of His team, helping other people hear about how this defense attorney can save your life.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your amazing mercy.  Jesus, thank you for your perfect life, death, and resurrection, and thank you for standing in my defense.  Holy Spirit, thank you for guiding me to put my faith in Jesus.  I love you, and I want to help others experience your mercy and grace.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment