Friday, September 1, 2017

Prosperity and the Gospel

My parents taught me to tithe when I was a kid.  They taught me the principles of financial giving, and they taught me the discipline (practice) of how to prioritize spiritual giving (i.e., you set aside that money first before you budget ANYTHING else).  They taught me that it is a matter of both the heart and the mind.  We give because He gave, but sometimes you give even when you don't feel like it, because you know that it is the right thing to do.  (Of course, it would be nice to feel it every time, but I think that is why it is called "discipline" and not "chocolate cake".). Fundamentally, God does not need our money, so it is our willingness and faith to give that is essential.  I think this is what Paul was pointing out here:

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich. ...  For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.
2 Corinthians 8:9‭, ‬12 NIV

I think there is an aspect of giving that is independent of your financial situation, as evidenced by Jesus' commentary on the woman who gave her last few cents.  It is a matter of trusting the Lord instead of trusting money.  But I am thinking there is also an aspect of God increasing our capacity to give as an opportunity to sow more into the Kingdom.

Of course, we have to be careful to not slip off into the ditch on either side, neither the prosperity gospel nor the poverty gospel.  Jesus did not die on the cross so that we could have all of the material possessions that we ever want, nor are you more righteous by living ascetically.  But perhaps God actually desires to increase our capacity to give:

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: "They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever."  Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
2 Corinthians 9:6‭-‬11 NIV

When you have a small salary, most of your monthly income goes to shelter, food, and other basic living expenses.  But what if, as we desire to give a greater fraction, and as we are faithful to give a greater fraction, God desires to increase our capacity to sow more in faith because He is pleased by faith and returns a crop of righteousness?

I have struggled with feeling guilty about having a nice salary as a professor, but by the grace of God, nearly every year, Brandi and I have increased our financial giving.  And we have seen God continue to increase our capacity to give.  I need to check my heart to make sure that I don't associate the size of my paycheck with my value or God's approval of me, but maybe there is still room in there to consider financial resources a type of blessing and an opportunity to sow more into the Kingdom.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your rich love for us and how you spent the treasure of your Son to purchase our redemption and freedom.  Jesus, thank you for your example of becoming poor so that I could become rich.  Holy Spirit, lead me to give away what I can't keep to gain what I could never buy.  I want to store up treasures in Heaven where we can celebrate for eternity.  And I want my children to grow up with that culture of living generously and watching you produce a great harvest from what we join you in planting.  Increase my desire to give.  Increase my faith as I sow.  And increase my capacity to give even more.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment