Friday, September 15, 2017

Practical focus

Lately, I have been struggling with work stress and waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep.  Yesterday morning, I asked Father about it, and He reminded me of this passage:

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.  Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal.
Isaiah 26:3‭-‬4 NIV

Then I read my daily Scripture, which included some of my favorite verses, and I think they are very fundamental and practical:

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.
Romans 8:5‭-‬6 NIV

Conceptually, it seems simple to set your mind on the Spirit.  But I get frustrated and overwhelmed. 

Jude lost his two front teeth this past week, and the dentist pulled two more yesterday.  Seeing him try to talk or eat with so many missing teeth reminded me that he is still just a kid.  Sometimes I am too hard on him, but last night after baseball practice I took him for a burger and ice cream.  In the car, I reached back to squeeze his leg and tell him that I love him, and he took my hand and held it while we drove.  It was a special moment for me.  I feel like I finally connected with him on a deeper level.

Father, thank you for being my Rock.  Thank you for being steadfast.  Teach me to focus my mind on you and rest in your goodness and love.  May my life be characterized by supernatural peace.  I love you and pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment