Saturday, February 2, 2019

Drinking the cup

When the mother of James and John asked Jesus for her sons to be in the highest places of honor in His kingdom, Jesus replied:

"You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" "We can," they answered.  Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father."  ... Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles Lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.  Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,  and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—  just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
Matthew 20:22‭-‬23‭, ‬25‭-‬28 NIV

Just prior to this story, Matthew explained that Jesus clearly told his disciples what was going to happen in Jerusalem.  So, when Jesus asked them if they could drink his cup, I think He meant martyrdom.  But when James and John replied that they could drink the cup, I think Jesus's affirmation had a triple meaning.  First, literally, they would drink the cup of wine that represents His blood poured out for their son and mine.  Second, they would follow Jesus's lifestyle of servanthood.  Third, James did give his life as a martyr.

So, when I drink the cup in communion in our Sunday gathering, I want to remember that I am committing to be a servant and possibly a martyr.

Father, I want to follow your will.  I want my will to be molded to match your will.  I want to lovingly and joyfully serve my wife and children, church, friends, students, and colleagues.  Jesus, thank you for your example.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence and power to emulate Jesus.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment