Thursday, February 21, 2019

My Father doesn't think I'm a nerd

I listened to another Soultime meditation about shame, and I asked Holy Spirit to show me how I have judged myself.  The thought that came to mind is that somewhere in high school, I began to believe a lie that being an intelligent person is weird, and I let the stigma of being a "nerd" slip into my self-identity.

Sometimes I have struggled with the type of intelligence that God has given me.  For example, sometimes I have wished that God had given me artistic or musical talent, but I want to be grateful for the type of intelligence that I have.

A couple of weeks ago, Randy preached about loving the Lord with all of your mind, and he identified some lies about intelligence.  Intelligence does not make you a more valuable person than other people; intelligence is simply one type of gifting that God gives some people.  The question is, am I going to use this gift to love God and love my neighbor?

So, today, I resolve to reject shame about the intelligence that God has given me.  I will no longer give space to the "nerd" stigma that the enemy wants me to embrace.  The Lord has good plans for me to use the gifts that he has given me for His glory, and I will delight in who He has made me.

Father, you are good, and I celebrate your goodness.  You give good gifts to your children, and I will not stand in contempt of what you have given me.  Nor will I allow myself to believe that I am more special than anyone else because of the type of intelligence that you have given me.  Please give me a healthy self-awareness.  I commit myself to fulfill the destiny that you have for me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment