Saturday, February 9, 2019

Feeling and processing frustration

I am listening to a Soultime app series about understanding shame, and one of the concepts was about how I felt and experienced things as a child.

Holy Spirit, I think when I was a child, I developed an unhealthy habit of expressing frustration with my brothers through verbal and physical violence.  I remember saying mean things or hitting them, and I confess that those ways of dealing with frustration are not righteous and Christ-like (James 1:20).  I am sorry that I did those things.  Thank you for your forgiveness and for washing me clean of those offenses.  

Holy Spirit, I wonder to what extent that created mental patterns or tendencies that might influence the way that I deal with frustration to this day.  I am a new creation in Christ Jesus, and I want the full mind of Christ (Phil 2:5-8).  I want to be transformed by the renewing of my mind (Rom 12:1-2), so, I want my mind to be set on the Spirit 24-7 (Rom 8:5-6).  

Holy Spirit, when I get frustrated, about anything, I first want my mind to be aware that I am frustrated and to evaluate that frustration under the illumination of your presence.  I know that you will give me discernment.  If my frustration is legitimate, then give me supernatural guidance in how to express that frustration in a loving and constructive way.  Or if my frustration is only from the selfish flesh, then show me how to align my flesh with the death of Christ (Gal 2:20-21).  

I love you, and I am excited about the transformation that you are affecting in me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment