Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The stone was rolled away for us, not for Jesus

There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.
Matthew 28:2 NIV

I am not sure if I have understood this before, but after His resurrection, Jesus was suddenly in a locked room with His disciples, so obviously He was not confined in the tomb.  Thus, the angel rolled back so that we could see that the tomb is empty, not so that Jesus could get out.

I love the scene of the angel, bright as lightning, sitting on the stone, smiling ear to ear, eager to show off the goodness of God.

Father, thank you for sending the angel to roll back the stone from the tomb so that we can see that the tomb is empty.  Holy Spirit, fill me with joy in knowing that the tomb is empty. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment