Friday, May 7, 2010

healing and providing water

2 Kings 1-3

 2:19One day the leaders of the town of Jericho visited Elisha. "We have a problem, my lord," they told him. "This town is located in pleasant surroundings, as you can see. But the water is bad, and the land is unproductive." 20Elisha said, "Bring me a new bowl with salt in it." So they brought it to him. 21Then he went out to the spring that supplied the town with water and threw the salt into it. And he said, "This is what the Lord says: I have purified this water. It will no longer cause death or infertility." 22And the water has remained pure ever since, just as Elisha said.

3:9The king of Edom and his troops joined [the king of Israel and the king of Judah], and all three armies traveled along a roundabout route through the wilderness for seven days. But there was no water for the men or their animals. ... 15... While the harp was being played, the power of the Lord came upon Elisha, 16and he said, "This is what the Lord says: This dry valley will be filled with pools of water! 17You will see neither wind nor rain, says the Lord, but this valley will be filled with water. You will have plenty for yourselves and your cattle and other animals. 18But this is only a simple thing for the Lord, for he will make you victorious over the army of Moab!

There are two major problems with water in this world: quality and quantity.  Here we see the Lord solve both issues.  It is my prayer that the Lord will use me to heal and provide water so that people can live healthy, productive lives.

Also, as I consider the tasks at hand (i.e., finishing my dissertation and taking a new professorship), I am intimidated by the magnitude of effort required.  But here I see that the Lord will provide, and He will give me the victory.

Heavenly Father, you are so kind and faithful.  Lord, please deliver my heart from greed and pride, and may I be pure in your sight so that I can draw near to you.  Lord, thank you for providing a job for me, and I pray that you will use me to bless people with clean, abundant water so that they can live to know the love and grace of Jesus Christ.  May I go forward in the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Living Water.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment