Thursday, May 13, 2010

the enemy's deception

2 Kings 17-18

As I consider the large volume of text in the Old Testament that is devoted to the downfall of Israel (and Judah, for that matter), perhaps Yahweh intends to impress and make very clear His hatred for idolatry.  He is the one true God, and there is no other!  He alone is worthy of worship and praise!  Why then are our lives, like the nation of Israel, plagued with idolatry?  Let us repent and devote ourselves wholeheartedly to Him!

I was also impressed with the subtle deception that Sennacherib king of Assyria spoke to Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem: that he was sent by the LORD, that he would take care of them if they submitted to him ("Choose life and not death!"), and that even the LORD could not save them from his military strength.  It smells like the Devil's deception to me.  But for some reason, when we are in the middle of the situation, our sniffers are busted.

Heavenly Father, I praise you, and I want to worship you with my life.  Thank you for the Lord Jesus Christ and His mercy and grace.  Thank you for spiritual life and power through the Holy Spirit.  Please help me be attentive to spiritual warfare around me, and please give me the discernment to spot deception a mile away.  Lord, you are in control, you are the source of true Life, and it is a joy to know you and serve you.  I love you, Lord.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment