Thursday, May 6, 2010

word study: persecute

1 Kings 21-22

The name of our Bible Life group at church is "Pursuit", which we took from 2 Timothy 2:22:

22So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

A brother shared with me yesterday that the word "pursue" in 2 Timothy 2:22 is essentially the same as the word "persecute" (Strong's G1377) in Acts 9:4-5:

4And falling to the ground he heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" 5And he said, "Who are you, Lord?" And he said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.

pursue - relentlessly chase, earnestly endeavor to acquire

Heavenly Father, I pray that I will pursue the Lord Jesus Christ with fervency and determination.  I pray that I will be His disciple and lead others to pursue Him in love.  May your Name be praised in all the earth.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, who pursued me all the way to the Cross.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment