Tuesday, June 21, 2011

how He died

John 18:19-40
 
31 So Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves, and judge Him according to your law." The Jews said to him, "We are not permitted to put anyone to death," 32 to fulfill the word of Jesus which He spoke, signifying by what kind of death He was about to die.
 
I am sure that there are details here that I am not aware of, but it seems odd to me that the Jews, who were commanded by God to stone people who committed heinous crimes, told Pilot that they couldn't put anyone to death.  It is especially fascinating because they had already attempted to stone Him a few times before this occasion.  Instead of death by stoning, Jesus fulfilled the prophecy of the bronze serpent on a pole by being crucified.
 
Heavenly Father, I praise you because you are in control.  Jesus did not die by accident.  He was falsely accused and unjustly tried, but He gave Himself up for us so that we could know you.  Thank you, Jesus, for enduring the unjust judgements, mockery, and insults.  Thank you for loving us so much that you would give your life up for us.  May we respond with such devotion that we give you our lives.  Lord Jesus, please live through me today!  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment