Wednesday, February 1, 2012

good run

Matthew 16:21-28

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.

I went for a run with Sam this evening after our home group.  It was incredible!  The farthest I have run recently is about a mile and a half, but I ran about three miles this evening with Sam!  Sam is a proficient endurance/distance runner, and he gave me some tips as we got started.  One of his most helpful points was that the first four or five minutes are anaerobic, which feels terrible, but after that, your body engages aerobic, and you can actually keep going if you just push past the gross part at the beginning.  We had a great conversation, and I am so encouraged by this experience. 

I realize that such a large part of the progress is due to the accountability and friendship.  We need each other in this process.  We can't follow Jesus alone.  No such thing.  Just like Sam was patient with me and helped me run farther than I thought I could, we need each other spiritually to run the distance.

Heavenly Father, thank you for friends like Sam who you use to help push me out of passivity and complacency into proactivity and intentionality.  Jesus, thank you for a group of Brothers and Sisters to help me follow you.  I love you, Lord, and I want to turn from my selfish ways, take up my cross, and follow you.  I give you my life for your sake.  Please use my life to help others experience your life.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment