Friday, February 17, 2012

my friend Kirk

Matthew 24:23-51

Yesterday, my friend Krik from Austin posted on his facebook profile that he has terminal cancer.  He went to the doctor several weeks ago with back pain, and in the next few weeks they discovered that he had rapidly advancing cancer.  They told him a week ago that they couldn't really do anything for him.

Kirk is one of the most sincere and genuine people that I know.  We didn't get to hang out much, but we were in a couple of Bible studies together, and we had some great conversations.  In my mind, Kirk has a great sense of perspective on spiritual truth and practice.  He is almost finished with seminary.

It frustrates me that it seems like God has shortened Kirk's time here.  Why not let the serial killer or the abusive father get cancer?  Why not let Kirk be a pastor?

I spoke to my Brother Jeremy about the situation yesterday on my drive home from work.  I was asking him something about whether or not it was appropriate to pray for healing for Kirk.  I mean, it seems pretty obvious that it is the Lord's will to take Kirk home.  Jeremy made a fair point that any illness or sickness or injury is just as easy for God to heal.  True.  But I guess I'm pretty jaded by three previous situations.  My hometown friend Ryan got leukemia in high school.  He died.  My Grandma (a very godly woman) got leukemia.  She died shortly after 9/11.  My Aunt Jean got pancreatic cancer.  She died a few years ago.  I feel like I prayed diligently and sincerely for healing for each of these three, but God didn't heal them (physically).  So, I feel like God is 0 for 3 in my own personal network of people.  That's not a very good percentage.  So, I'm skeptical that it actually makes any difference asking God to heal someone with cancer.  It is easier to be a Calvanist.

Anyway, I am very sad that Kirk is experiencing such pain, and I am sad for his family.  Today is his birthday.

I wanted to send him a message, but I didn't know what to say.  What do you say to someone who has terminal cancer?  Especially when you don't believe that God is going to heal them? As I was thinking about what to tell him, I realized that we are all dying.  We just aren't as conscious or aware as Kirk.  We just don't know how much time we have left.  I realized that what I wanted to tell him is what I want for him to experience in his last days here.  I realized that what I want for him is what I want for me and my family.  Here is how I ended my message to Him.

"May the Lord bless you with knowing and experiencing His presence, and may you be filled with the hope and joy of knowing Christ and walking with Him in this life and for eternity. Grace and Peace to you in Christ."

It doesn't matter how much time we have.  We just focus on living in His presence, enjoying life with Him.  And sharing Him with others.  This is the essence of life.

Heavenly Father, please minister to my Brother Kirk and his family.  Please reveal yourself to them.  It would be nice if you would heal Kirk, but I don't expect you to.  Lord, please help me enjoy every moment with you, and please deliver me from distractions.  Help me see what really matters.  I love you, Lord.  I pray in the name of Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your feelings. Kirk was one of the first people I met here when I came in 2001. I don't think it is wrong to pray for complete healing; but keep in mind that we won't be completely healed until we are standing in the Father's presence. I believe the Lord could do a miracle in Kirk's life and be glorified just as well. I've spent time asking the same questions. The one thing I find encouragement in is that Kirk is taking his opportunities to give God glory, even now.
    I spoke with him on the phone Friday (surprised that he called me), and he had some encouraging words, and was confident that when the chapter of his life ended here, he would be in the presence of God.
    I know it isn't fair, but this is not the end for Kirk, and our friendship with him. Nor anyone else who is in Christ. We have all eternity. I hope you find comfort in this, and not turmoil. God isn't 0 for 3 in your personal network, but 3 for eternity; which is the best percentage. Love ya bro, miss you and your family here.

    "But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." (I Thessalonians 4:13-18).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it, Bro. We miss y'all, too.

      Delete