Sunday, January 26, 2014

extending mercy

Matt. 18

32 Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' 34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."

Anything and everything that anyone could ever do to us is small potatoes compared to our sin against God.  And if He has forgiven us a debt that we could never pay, then He expects us to forgive anyone who sins against us.  This passage (as well as the Lord's model prayer, and Jesus's discussion following the model prayer) indicates that our forgiveness from God is conditional on our extension of forgiveness to others.  That seems pretty serious to me.  Sobering.

But it sure is hard to forgive when we have been hurt/wronged.  

I continue to be impressed by my wife and the forgiveness that she shows, especially to me.  I continue to grow in my appreciation for all of the things that she has forgiven me of, and how she continues to be patient with me.  The mercy and grace that she has shown is an extension and reflection of the grace and mercy that God has shown us through Christ.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your forgiveness.  Thank you for your patient love.  Thank you for Brandi and her faithfulness to you; thank you for the mercy and grace that you have given her and the way that she has extended that grace and mercy to me.  Lord, may I be so merciful and gracious.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment