Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Seek first His kingdom

Matthew 6:31-34 ESV

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.    "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Maybe I could extend this to: don't be anxious about your job, especially tenure.  I think this past semester has helped me see that I need to work hard based on integrity with respect to me obeying the Lord, not out of anxiousness for external pressure. 

The root of the Greek word for "anxious" is μερίζω - to divide, separate into parts.  Maybe like when you feel pulled in many directions.

Focus on His Kingdom.  And right standing with Him.  Integrity.  The simple joy of consistency in Him.  Trust.  Faith.

Heavenly Father, please give me clarity to see you, and resolve to seek you.  Lord, you have been so kind to me in providing everything that I need and so much more.  Lord, please help me focus on you and work for you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment