Wednesday, August 13, 2014

great friends, great life

Romans 11

On Sunday, as we were driving into Austin, Brandi posted on Facebook a general invitation for all of our Austin friends to join us at a burger and ice cream place (with a playground) on Monday evening.  We were so blessed that several families came to eat with us, and it was so encouraging to visit with them!  After a few minutes of catching up, I thought it was awesome that our conversation naturally transitioned into discipleship and applied theology.  I also realized that 60% of the families that came had financially supported my mission trip to Ecuador a month ago.  Man, I miss these folks!

As I think about the Lord blessing me with another year of life, I think about how He has blessed me with so many good relationships.  First of all, He has blessed me with a relationship with Himself; I want to be genuinely grateful for His grace and mercy every day.  

I am so grateful for such a loving and forgiving wife; she has given me many second-chances.  I am also grateful for three healthy sons. It is a privilege to train these boys to be disciples of Christ.  And I am so thankful for parents who taught me to follow Christ, and for brothers who encourage me and challenge me in my walk with Him. 

I am thankful for a heritage of grandparents who followed Jesus.  I am thankful for the many people who have discipled me throughout the years: Rick, Neill, Russ, Jason, Mitch, Ken, Jon, Mark, RF, Greg, and Steve.  These men have made such an impact on me.  

And, I am thankful for a vocation of teaching, researching, and serving clean water and sharing the Living Water.

Isaiah 61  
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a ]2        to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of joy instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.


Heavenly Father, thank you so much for great friends and family who love you and love us.  To whom much is given, much is expected.  Lord Jesus, may my life be useful and profitable in advancing your Kingdom.  Holy Spirit, more than any other year, I pray that this year I will listen to you daily, moment by moment, and walk in obedience as you pour the love and life of Christ through me and empower me to make disciples.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment