Saturday, August 30, 2014

Seeds

Beau woke me up this morning (in the middle of a dream that I was an archeologist) and wanted to go for a walk.  I tried to go back to sleep but couldnt, so we got up, got dressed, then Jude woke up, got him dressed, and went for a walk.

On our walk, I picked what looked like a ripe desert willow seed pod to try to sprout some seedlings.  (I was previously successful, but when I transfered them to a planter, someone flooded it with water and killed them.)  On our way back to the house, Beau asked where plants came from, and I told him that plants grow from seeds.  He asked, amazed, "All plants come from seeds?"  I answered,  "Yes", a slight over-generalization, but I figured we could discuss rizomes, grafting, etc at a later time.

Yesterday, a former student came by my office to discuss preparation for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.  She also asked about maintaining your faith in a tough working environment.   I don't know that I had anything to say that was particularly revelational, but I hope that our conversation was a seed of encouragement.

Later that afternoon,  I was returning to my office from the lab, and I saw one of my colleagues standing in the hall with a stressed look on his face.  I asked him if he was taking a break, and he said that he had to step away from his computer for a few minutes.  I suggested that we go throw the Frisby outside for a few ninutes, which we did.  I hope that our brief chat and Frisby toss was a seed of peace and encouragement.

The amazing thing about planting seeds is that it really doesn't take that much work.  You can plant a lot of seeds.  (Now, three of the four soil types will not produce a harvest, but maybe we can be optimistic and realistic, simultaneously.) 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the opportunity to plant your seeds of Gospel truth and spiritual life.  Lord, may I be faithful to plant lots of seeds and trust that you will water them, grow them, cultivate them, and produce a harvest for yourself.  I want to participate in your kingdom. I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment