Saturday, June 6, 2015

To keep growing, you have to keep doing new things

Growing up on the farm, it was not uncommon for my dad to give me some basic instructions and then send me off to do something that I had not done before.  But I actually saw my dad do this himself on many occasions, so he was actually teaching me a lifestyle.  For example, I watched my dad regularly disassemble and repair broken farming machinery without any manuals.  He taught me to just try to do stuff and figure it out while you are doing it.  Now, of course, while you are figuring out how to do stuff, you will probably make some mistakes, but you will learn so much. 

A couple of days ago, my dad and I loaded up cotton seed in a planter that I haven't used before, and he gave me some basic instructions for getting rolling.  At first, I was a little uncomfortable with the ambiguity, and then I realized this lesson:

If you want to keep growing, you have to keep doing new things.  

You have to keep pushing past the awkwardness of not knowing how to do something, and just do it.  You have to be willing to make mistakes and learn as you go.

And of course, this applies to spiritual growth, as well.  I think Jesus wants current, modern-day disciples to try to live like He did, even as He sent out the seventy two disciples to preach and heal.  I think He wants us to continue growing into the maturity of Christ, such that we would operate with similar authority and power.  And to get to that level of maturity, I think I am going to have to start stepping out into some things that make me uncomfortable, and see the Holy Spirit work things out.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your desire to grow me into the image of Christ.  Thank you for the challenge to continue stepping out of my comfort zone, even thought it makes me feel nervous.  Help me see that life with you is abundant and vibrant.  Heavenly Father, thank you for your loving kindness.  I want to run with you.  Holy Spirit, give me boldness to jump when you tell me to jump.  I love you, and I want to operate like Christ.  I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment