Monday, April 3, 2017

A fireplace isn't much use when it is full of rocks

I think we had a good homegroup meeting last night, and I think it was significant.  A couple of weeks ago, we started talking about how God speaks to us through dreams and visions.  Andrew said that he never remembered his dreams when he woke up in the morning, but I told him to keep a pen and paper next to his bed because we were going to ask God to speak to him through his dreams.  Andrew told us last night that he woke up the very next morning having remembered his dream, and he told us the dream.  Shaun asked the Holy Spirit for an interpretation while Andrew was sharing the dream, and then Shaun shared an interpretation that was so encouraging to Andrew.

After several other people shared their dreams, we practiced guided meditation by reading the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11ff) and focusing on visualizing the story.  I think several people received something fresh from the Lord through that experience, and the discussion time was meaningful.

At the end of our meeting, Shaun asked us to pray for him, and several people shared words from the Lord for him which were encouraging to him.

This morning, I went out on the porch for a few minutes to sit and meditate.  I wasn't out long because I got cold.  But I noticed that last night, the kids filled up our little chiminea with rocks.  At first I was frustrated, but then I thought maybe the Lord was telling me something through that picture.  A fireplace is not very useful if it is full of rocks.  If I want to be filled with the fire of the Holy Spirit, then I need to be open, not full of other things.  The rocks don't necessarily have to be evil, but they are preventing/limiting the fire of God.

I went and moved the rocks out of the chiminea as a prayer to the Lord that I want to be open to Him and welcome His fire.  I think one rock in my heart is allowing frustration to grow to anger and then to harshness towards my kids.  By the grace of Jesus, I will not do that anymore​.  I am moving that rock out of my heart and inviting the fire of the Holy Spirit in its place.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your faithfulness and love.  Jesus, thank you for your sacrifice for me.  Holy Spirit, thank you for speaking to me this morning, and thank you for your fire.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bro. Shane. I am so blessed by your post about the fire place. The spiritual mind always looks for lessons to be learned from our day todays events. I am blessed by the spiritual lesson you took out of fire place that is filled with stones. Well just about me, I am a Pastor from Mumbai, india. I am so blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strenthened and praying for one anther. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and teh adults from the west to co me to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you and your family come or encourage young peope from your church to come to Mumbai to work with us during vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. God willing I will be coming to Magnolia, Tx and will be so glad to stop by your place and meet you and share more about our ministry as well as about the opportunity for the young people to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. LOOKING forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete