Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Transactions versus rewards

On Sunday, Rebekah Bell preached on the topic of spiritual disciplines, and her description of the sisciplines was based on Richard Foster's Celebration of Disciplines.  Her thesis concept was that relationships are not transactional (though many of us approach them with that mindset), and that we choose to exercise spiritual disciplines because we ant to perpare ourselves to dive deeper in relationship and experience with God.

For example, like Rebekah, I used to think of prayer and fasting as a quid pro quo, perhaps as an artifact of misinterpretation of "You have not because you ask not."  But recently I have begun to see prayer as conversation among family and friends. And I am learning that fasting is not arm twisting God into doing what we want.  Actually, it is more about arm twisting my body and soul into obeying my Spirit, which is led by the Holy Spirit.

I am seeing that there is a difference between wages and reward.  If I have a transactional, quid pro quo, interaction with God, then I am expecting wages to be paid out based on my religious performance.  But if I am in Son-Brother-Friend relationship with God, then I am a beneficiary of His good nature.  

So, as we are in the last several days of this 21 day fast, I want to focus on growing in my living relationship with God because He is the best thing in the world.  He is the buried treasure.  And I know that His promises are true:

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Matthew 5:6 NIV

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Hebrews 11:6 NIV

Father, I know that you are good, and you satisfy those who hunger and thirst for you.  Jesus, I want to be more like you.  Holy Spirit, I want more of you.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment