Sunday, January 24, 2021

fasting for more

I read this passage this morning in my daily reading:
Matthew 8
18 When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake. 19 Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go." 20 Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." 21 Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." 22 But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

Our church is doing a 21 day fast (Jan 10-30), and Brandi and I chose to do a Daniel fast (this time we are doing vegan, sugar-free, and caffeine-free).  The first week, I thought I had COVID because the coincident sugar- and caffeine-withdrawals were fierce.  I am currently doing some fasting from food, and this morning, I watched a sermon about healing, and the pastor shared from Matthew 8 (the exact passage that I read earlier this morning) about how Jesus invites us to follow Him.  It will cost us, and it will be inconvenient and uncomfortable.  This really encouraged me to not give up in my fasting.  

Later this morning, I was praying for more experiences with the Holy Spirit, to grow closer to the Father's heart, and to see revival.

I just turned on Pandora radio this afternoon, and the first three songs directly spoke to those three prayers, IN ORDER (select lyrics listed for each):
  1. More (Red Rocks Worship)
    I just want more, I just want more
    More of you, God, more of you, God
    I just want more, I just want more
    More of you, God, more of you
    Pour out all I have and lay down all I am
    Making room for you
    Lord, I'm ready to open up my heart
    To receive, not in part
    But the fullness of who you are
    Lord, I'm ready

  2. Heartbeat (Mosaic MSC)
    Tell me all your secrets
    Tell me everything
    Show me how to love you
    Show me how to live
    Wherever I go
    Whatever I lose
    All I want is to be with you
    I wanna know your heartbeat, heartbeat
    Show me how your heart beats, heart beats
    The rhythm of your love is for me
    I wanna know your
    I wanna know your
    Heartbeat

  3. Fullness (Elevation Worship)
    Now the world awaits Your presence
    And this power is within us
    We will rise to be Your image
    Spirit come, Spirit come
    Pour it out, let Your love run over
    Here and now, let Your glory fill this house
    Pour it out, let Your love run over
    Here and now, let Your glory fill this house
    Tongues of fire, testifying of the Son
    One desire, Spirit come, Spirit come
    Speak revival, prophesy like it is done
    One desire, Spirit come, Spirit come
This really encouraged me that He hears my prayers.  He is giving me the strength to pursue Him, and He rewards those who diligently seek Him.

Father, you are so good.  Holy Spirit, I want more of you.  Father, I want to know your heart.  Jesus, I want to see your revival explode through me.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment