Monday, March 29, 2010

accountability

Judges 7-8

The story of Gideon is humbling.  The Lord called Gideon to a position of leadership when Gideon was in a place of fear and hiding.  The Lord was patient with Gideon as he asked for confirmation of the Lord's calling and direction.  The Lord even decreased the "strength" of Gideon's army so that only the Lord would receive the honor from the victory.  And Gideon was faithful to give the Lord credit for the victory as he refused the people's offer for kingship.

But, ultimately, success still went to His head, and he, his family, his town, and the nation of Israel suffered because he allowed pride to creep up on him.

Yesterday, I made a commitment to spend a dedicated chunk of time in prayer with the Lord every day.  The Lord has been gracious to grow in me a discipline of reading His Word every day for the past couple of years, but I have realized that my sanctification and utility in the Kingdom will be significantly accelerated by growth in daily prayer.  So, I am starting with a commitment to at least 15 minutes of devoted prayer each morning, and as I write this, I am embarrassed at how small this commitment is, but I guess you have to start somewhere.  My goal is to have genuine, fresh, loving conversation with the Lord every day, and for this time to grow to at least one hour each morning by the end of the summer.  And, I need accountability to hold me to this commitment as well as to prevent me from being legalistic and proud about it.

Heavenly Father, I love you, and I want to know you better.  Lord, I know that you are calling me to grow in you, and my spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak.  Please fill me with your Holy Spirit and empower me to live the life of Christ - especially His devotion to daily, personal conversation with the Father.  I want to know your will and do it.  I want to know what breaks your heart, and I pray that the same things will break my heart.  I want to know what brings you joy, and I pray that these things will bring me joy.  May I be integrated into you and your work as I abide in the vine through prayer.  I need you Lord, and I commit to you today to seek you daily, every morning, in prayer.  But it is only by your grace that I may know you and walk in your way.  I believe that this is your will for me, so I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior, Redeemer, and Sanctifier.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment