Friday, March 12, 2010

discipline of the king

Deuteronomy 17-19

I love this passage in chapter 17:

 16 "The king must not build up a large stable of horses for himself or send his people to Egypt to buy horses, for the Lord has told you, 'You must never return to Egypt.' 17 The king must not take many wives for himself, because they will turn his heart away from the Lord. And he must not accumulate large amounts of wealth in silver and gold for himself.

 18 "When he sits on the throne as king, he must copy for himself this body of instruction on a scroll in the presence of the Levitical priests. 19 He must always keep that copy with him and read it daily as long as he lives. That way he will learn to fear the Lord his God by obeying all the terms of these instructions and decrees. 20 This regular reading will prevent him from becoming proud and acting as if he is above his fellow citizens. It will also prevent him from turning away from these commands in the smallest way. And it will ensure that he and his descendants will reign for many generations in Israel.

First of all, don't get caught up in the things of this world (Egypt).  And I don't know how King Solomon got around verse 17.  How could he have been so wise, and yet directly disobeyed both stipulations in verse 17?

Second, you reading, writing, and quoting Scriptures EVERY DAY is how you learn to fear the Lord and obey Him.  In this way, you are daily humbling yourself and submitting to the authority of God and His Word.

Third, it allows you to be a leader of others following the Lord and enjoying His goodness.

Dear Heavenly Father, you are so kind to give us your Word.  Lord Jesus, you are the incarnate Word of God, and I trust you and praise you.  Lord, I willingly submit myself to your authority.  Holy Spirit, please reveal to me, teach me, and let me experience the deep mysteries of Christ in the Word.  Lord, please cleanse me from the things of the world and the desires of the flesh, and please teach me to fear you and obey you.  Lord, may I lead others to follow you and love you with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength.  I ask in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment