Wednesday, March 10, 2010

reflections from the UTEP interview

Deuteronomy 11-13

I was very fearful and anxious on Saturday and Sunday, and the Lord used this situation to expose how weak my faith is.  I have apologized to the Lord for being so fearful of men instead of Him.  This was a great experience to teach me to rely on Him instead of myself (e.g., Prov. 3:5-6).  I appreciated all of the prayers, emails, and text messages of encouragement.  One particular instance was especially meaningful: my Brother Mitch came over to me after the corporate service Sunday morning to pray with me; that meant a lot to me.  He later sent me a text with 1 Peter 5:6-7,

6 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

Well, the Lord definitely allowed me to be humbled.  On Monday, I wore some suit pants that I had packed without remembering that I had washed them in the washing machine; they were "dry clean only", so they looked rumpled and fuzzy.  Yesterday, the soles of my black dress shoes started coming off and flopping as I walked (which I temporarily fixed with several pieces of chewing gum).  And the whole trip I had some digestive issues which made me feel weak and wimpy.  But, the Lord held me together the whole time.

While I was there, I read through a few of my favorite chapters in the Bible: Deuteronomy 6, 8, and 10.  The challenge is simply to love, fear, obey, and cling to the LORD.

Heavenly Father, thank you for kindness to me.  Lord, you have faithfully provided for me at every step of my life, and I trust you to lead us wherever you want us to go.  May we love you wholeheartedly and obey you joyfully.  I pray that you will receive praise, thanks, and honor from my life.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment