Thursday, June 3, 2010

the battle belongs to the Lord

2 Chronicles 19-20

Chapter 20 has to be one of my favorite chapters in the Bible.  A vast army comes against Judah, and King Jehoshaphat leads the people to seek the Lord and pray to Him for deliverance.

It is especially encouraging to me as I face a series of responsibilities to finish this summer that seem to me like a vast army advancing to attack me (i.e., dissertation, grant project final report, two technical conferences, drafting three journal papers, etc.).

20:4 The people of Judah came together to seek help from the LORD; indeed, they came from every town in Judah to seek him. 5 Then Jehoshaphat stood up in the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem at the temple of the LORD in the front of the new courtyard 6 and said: "O LORD, God of our fathers, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you. ...12 O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." 13 All the men of Judah, with their wives and children and little ones, stood there before the LORD. ... 15 [The prophet Jahaziel] said: "Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. ... 17 ... Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.' "

The Lord accomplishes the victory as we go out in simple obedience.  We do not have the power to be victorious, but we get to see Him win the victory!

Heavenly Father, you are the God and Creator of the universe, and I am a sinful human so I have earned wrath from you.  But the Blood of your Son Jesus Christ has washed away my sin, and now I am your adopted son by your grace through faith.  As your son, I know that you will always take care of me.  I know that you do not promise an easy road, in fact you promise a road marked with suffering, but I love you because you have first loved me. And I want to seek your face to know you, not just to get some more blessing from you.  Lord, please purify the desire of my heart to love you and seek you, simply for the sake of knowing you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Portion.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment