Wednesday, June 9, 2010

good, bad, and ugly

2 Chronicles 32-33, John 14

For most of his life, King Hezekiah did amazing things to reform the nation of Judah and lead them to walk in the ways of the Lord.  But, sadly, at the end of his life, after he had acquired great wealth and fame:

32:24 ... Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. He prayed to the LORD, who answered him and gave him a miraculous sign. 25 But Hezekiah's heart was proud and he did not respond to the kindness shown him; therefore the LORD's wrath was on him and on Judah and Jerusalem. ... 31 ... when envoys were sent by the rulers of Babylon to ask him about the miraculous sign that had occurred in the land, God left him to test him and to know everything that was in his heart. 33:1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-five years. 2 He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites.

Now I am totally speculating into the text here, but I wonder if Manasseh grew up while King Hezekiah thought he was a big-shot.  I wonder if King Hezekiah was always too busy to spend time with his son and teach him the ways of the Lord.  Sadly, Hezekiah' family is not the only one ruined by wealth and fame. I am reminded of this passage:

Micah 6:6-8

 6 With what shall I come before the LORD
       and bow down before the exalted God?
       Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
       with calves a year old?

 7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
       with ten thousand rivers of oil?
       Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
       the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

 8 He has showed you, O man, what is good.
       And what does the LORD require of you?
       To act justly and to love mercy
       and to walk humbly with your God.


Heavenly Father, I confess that I have done many things to disgrace your name. Please forgive me, and lead me to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with you every single day.  Please be near me, and help me train my son to fear you, love you, and serve you.  I pray that you will use me and my family to advance your Kingdom.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment