Tuesday, June 29, 2010

perception versus reality

Job 14-16

Job felt betrayed, but he really wasn't. As I was reading Job's expression of perceived injustice, I realized how Job's words really apply to Jesus better than Job. Jesus was really betrayed. Jesus was truly beaten "unjustly". He was innocent and pure, yet it was the holiness and justice of God, coupled with the love of God that brought Jesus to suffer and die for the sins of humanity.

16:9 God hates me and angrily tears me apart.
He snaps his teeth at me
and pierces me with his eyes.
10 People jeer and laugh at me.
They slap my cheek in contempt.
A mob gathers against me.
11 God has handed me over to sinners.
He has tossed me into the hands of the wicked.
12
"I was living quietly until he shattered me.
He took me by the neck and broke me in pieces.
Then he set me up as his target,
13 and now his archers surround me.
His arrows pierce me without mercy.
The ground is wet with my blood.
14 Again and again he smashes against me,
charging at me like a warrior.

Oh, how He loves us! As a result of Christ's suffering, I can now join with Job in saying:

16:19 Even now my witness is in heaven.
My advocate is there on high.
20 My friends scorn me,
but I pour out my tears to God.
21 I need someone to mediate between God and me,
as a person mediates between friends.
22 For soon I must go down that road
from which I will never return.

Heavenly Father, thank you for Jesus, who suffered your wrath for my sin, and who turned right around and pleads my case to you on the basis of His suffering. Lord, your love is overwhelming! Your grace is amazing. Thank you for your mercy and kindness. May I be faithful to tell others of your kindness and share your wonderful love. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Advocate. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment