Wednesday, May 11, 2011

faith

Luke 22
 31 "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. 32 But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers."
It seems to me that Jesus knew that Peter would fail the temptation, but Jesus did not consider that equivalent with failing faith.  It seems to me that the fact that Peter repented means that his faith did not fail.  The fact that Peter would obey the Lord and strengthen his brothers means that his faith did not fail.
 
Perhaps in my own life, I need to take a deeper look at how I can learn from failed temptations and be encouraged that my faith is deeper than a single failed temptation.  To focus on failed temptation is wrong; I need to focus on the love, mercy, grace, and strength of the Lord and His power to overcome my wicked flesh.  If we show genuine repentance, humility, and brokenness over our failure, then the Lord will use that to gain more of us and fill us with Himself.  The goal of following Christ is not to sin less, it is to know and enjoy the Lord.  Sinning less is a byproduct.  Indeed, faith can grow through succeeding or failing temptation. 
 
Heavenly Father, thank you for your consistent mercy and grace.  Thank you that even though you know when I will mess up, you still love me and take care of me.  Thank you for the hope of repentance.  Lord, please help me see myself from your perspective.  I love you, and I want to walk with you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment