Monday, May 2, 2011

Sabbath rest

Luke 17:20-37
 
Greg preached about Sabbath and rest yesterday.  It was exactly what I needed to hear.  Sabbath rest is about enjoying God.  Rest is a willful acknowledgement that we need God to restore us.  Rest is about fellowship with God through relationships with family and friends.  Rest is dwelling with God.  Rest is shalom.
 
After the church gathering, we went to lunch with some friends, and I even splurged for some queso.  After lunch, I took a three hour nap.  After the nap, we had a snack and played outside with Beau in the back yard.  Then we went for a long walk to a neighborhood park and visited with another couple while our kids played in the sand.  We stopped at McDonald's on the walk home for a dinner salad and some play time with Beau in the indoor playscape.  It was a very much needed, restful day.
 
Heavenly Father, I am sorry for not resting recently.  I need to fellowship with you and rest with you.  I want to work hard, but at the end of each day, and at the end of each week, I want to be content with what you have accomplished through me and take time to rest.  Lord, please deliver me from the workaholic lifestyle that is so contagious in academia.  I love you, and I want to be salt and light in my work and in my rest.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment