Wednesday, August 3, 2011

guts

Romans 5:1-11

So, the first couple of verses and the last verse of this half chapter are really cheery:

1 Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 2 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory. ... 11 So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.

I was reflecting on these verses and thinking to myself, "Oh, well, isn't that nice!"  And then I re-read the guts:

 3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

I'm still trying to figure out how (practically) to rejoice when we run into problems and trials.  Rejoicing is not typically my first response.  I think it has something to do with the Holy Spirit filling our hearts with his love.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace and mercy through Jesus Christ.  Thank you for giving me faith and your peace so that I can be your friend instead of your enemy.  Holy Spirit, please fill my heart with your love, and teach me to respond to the adversities in life with joy because I have hope in you for salvation.  I love you, Lord, and I want to walk with you today.  Please guide me and lead me to walk with you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment