Tuesday, October 16, 2012

discipleship

1 Thes 3

12 May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.13 May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.

What is "discipleship"?

If you had asked me eight years ago, I would have given you a very different answer.

I sort of got into an argument with a brother about the meaning of "discipleship".  In his mind, I am guessing, "discipleship" has a connotation of didactic systematic theological instruction and accumulation of knowledge about God. I think he thinks that "discipleship" is the study of facts and details about the religion of Christianity.

However, I now believe that "discipleship" is the practice of being and growing as a disciple of Jesus.  The Greek word for "disciple" means "student", so of course, it involves learning, but this learning is the subjective and experiential implementation of the life, mind, attitude, character, and person of Jesus in our lives.  So, I see "discipleship" now as the collaborative effort of a small group of Christ-followers to help each other grow in letting Jesus incarnate us more completely as He identifies and crucifies selfishness in us.

Heavenly Father, please help me practice discipleship effectively.  I want to grow in sanctification, and I want to be useful in the sanctification of others.  May Jesus more fulling incarnate me today and each day following.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment