Thursday, October 18, 2012

discipleship

1 Thes 5

23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

Last night, a couple of Brothers came over to the house.  I think all of us have been wanting to get together on a regular basis for discipleship, but we just haven't made the time.  But I think we are ready.

We ate some sandwiches and talked about what we want to get out of regular meetings.  We talked about whether or not we should study a book of the Bible, or maybe have a standard set of questions that we ask each other every week.  But I think the conclusion was that we are all familiar enough with the basics principles of following Christ, and it is the collaborative effort of implementing the lifestyle of Christ that we seek. 

So, we sat on the back porch and talked about what is going on in our lives.  Each of us was very open and transparent.  As I think about it, I think this is more like what the disciples experienced with Jesus.  I think they probably discussed a lot of things.  I don't think Jesus lectured as often as we might imagine.  I bet he asked a lot of questions.  Questions that make you think.  Questions that make you ask more questions.  This seems like the pursuit of Christ.  Collaborative.  And always growing deeper.  It is not a set of knowledge to assimilate, but a Person to incarnate, corporately.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the chance to pursue you with some Brothers.  Thank you for honesty and transparency.  Please continue to deliver us from religion and trying to know about you.  Please reveal yourself to us, and grow us by incorporating Christ's life into our lives so that we walk in His Way.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment