Sunday, February 9, 2014

religion versus grace

Matt. 25:44 Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' 45 Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

So, if we see someone stranded on the side of the road or if we see a homeless person and we don't give them something to eat, and we don't stop and help them, does that mean we go to hell?  Well, that sounds pretty extreme, so maybe we only have to stop and help the majority (i.e., >50%) of people we encounter who need our help.  Both of these conditions sound like religion to me.  I'm not sure exactly how Jesus evaluates our righteousness, but if I were to speculate, it seems to me that if you have accepted Christ's sacrifice and received forgiveness of your sins, and He has given you His righteousness, along with the Holy Spirit to guide you, then the criteria is met by His righteousness, and we are privileged to be His hands and feet, accomplishing His goodness in obedience to the Holy Spirit.

In follow up from yesterday's post, Lindsay and Madelyn hosted a baby shower for Brandi yesterday at Lindsay's house, and they invited several ladies from our church, as well as several of Brandi's friends from other engagements in the city.  At one point in the shower, each lady shared briefly how Brandi has been a blessing in their life, and this was very encouraging and meaningful to Brandi.  I am thankful for the spiritual investment that God has allowed Brandi to make in their lives, and I am very grateful for the spiritual investment that all of those ladies have made in Brandi's life.

Heavenly Father, I pray that I will not have a perspective of religion in wanting to do enough good things to merit something from you, but rather that I will meditate on your grace and be motivated by gratefulness for your grace and love to pursue you and keep in step with you as you lead me to accomplish the good things that you have planned to do through me.  Lord, please cleanse me so that I may be a vessel that you will pour yourself through.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment