Thursday, February 13, 2014

Substitutionary atonement

MAT 27:26, 30-31 ESV

Then he released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, delivered him to be crucified. ... And they spit on him and took the reed and struck him on the head. And when they had mocked him, they stripped him of the robe and put his own clothes on him and led him away to crucify him.

When the crowd was demanding the release of Barrabas, Pilot asked what he should do with Barrabas:

27:22b They all said, "Let him be crucified!" ... 25 And all the people answered, "His blood be on us and on our children!"

I have always read that in the sense of the crowd accepting guilt/responsibility for Jesus's death, but this morning, I wonder if God allowed a benevolent irony in the sense of the Levitical sprinkling of blood.  The blood of the Lamb is applied to us, and we are forgiven.

Heavenly Father, thank you for sending Jesus to die for my sin.  Lord Jesus, thank you for enduring the punishment in place of me.  Thank you for your forgiveness and love. I want to daily remember your sacrifice and genuinely and humbly appreciate your mercy and grace. I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment