Sunday, February 16, 2014

Waiting for his arrival

MRK 1:1-3 ESV

The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.   As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, "Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way,   the voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight,'"

Just like the Jews were waiting for the Messiah to arrive, we wait expectantly for Christ to return and fulfill his promises.

I have observed a similarity in waiting expectantly for our son Rhett to be born.  Brandi has weekly doctor check ups at this point, and this past visit, the doctor told Brandi that she is in "pre-labor", so it could happen any day, or it could still be a couple of weeks.  The past several weeks, Brandi has been "nesting" - she has cleaned the whole house, washed all of the clothes, organized the closets, and even put the infant car seat in the car.

It reminds me of the parable that Jesus told of the servants waiting for the master to return; when he returns, will He find the house in order.

If Jesus returned today, would He find my life in order?  Would He find me taking care of my wife and sons, my Brothers and Sisters, tending to the Master's Kingdom; or would He find me working on things that are not important?

That past two weeks, I have been working very late nights on a research grant proposal.  Is it really worth sacrificing sleep and time with my family?  Is this work really going to matter in eternity?  I need to make sure that the things that I commit to have lasting value.

Heavenly Father, thank you for making me a servant and prince in your Kingdom.  Lord, I want to be a faithful servant and prince - reinforcing the Lordship of Jesus and faithfully serving in the Kingdom.  Lord, please help me realize the gifts and talents that you have given me for your work, and please help me know how to invest those gifts for your good work and glory.  Lord Jesus, I want to live in constant expectation of your return.  I want to be ready on that day.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment