Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Baptism of the Holy Spirit

I think it is interesting that when he was asked if he was the Messiah, John the Baptist contrasted his baptism of water with Jesus's baptism of the Holy Spirit:

Matt. 3:11
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Mark 1:8
I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

Luke 3:16
John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

And then after John baptized Jesus, John said:

John 1:33
And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'

As I was reviewing these passages, I noticed that Jesus himself said something very similar before He ascended:

Acts 1:5
For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

I have previously thought that the water baptism and baptism of the Holy Spirit were coincident/simultaneous, but it seems to me that John the Baptist and Jesus differentiated the two.  

Heavenly Father, please give me wisdom and understanding regarding water baptism and baptism of the Holy Spirit. I feel like I don't understand this, but I want to know you and walk with you, and you promise to give wisdom to those who ask.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus, who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment