Friday, October 7, 2016

Jesus's mission included setting people free and healing people

What was Jesus's mission?  What was He doing here?

Luke 4:16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me,

    because he has anointed me

    to proclaim good news to the poor.

He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners

    and recovery of sight for the blind,

to set the oppressed free,

19     to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

I love this passage because Jesus quoted a Messianic prophecy from Isaiah 61 which gives a strategic framework to Christ's ministry and work.  It is like goals and objectives, which then allows us to evaluate His performance.  Did He accomplish what He set out to do?  From my perspective, Jesus did exactly that.  He traveled around (1) healing people and then (2) preaching the good news of the Kingdom OR (1) preaching the good news of the Kingdom and then (2) healing people.

What struck me in the reading this morning was that Matthew connected Christ's work with another one of my favorite Messianic prophecies in Isaiah:

Matt. 8:16 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:

"He took up our infirmities

    and bore our diseases."


From a New Testament perspective, we can read Isaiah 53 and see that Messiah was the Suffering Servant who bore the righteous wrath of God for the sin of all people in the world.  But that is not all: Jesus came to heal, physically.  God does not only care about our spiritual condition; He also cares about our physical condition.

Later, Jesus sent out His disciples to do His work.  And we continue this same mission and work.

Heavenly Father, thank you for sending the Messiah.  Lord Jesus, thank you for suffering wrath and death on my behalf.  And thank you for your example of a man empowered by the Holy Spirit to collaborate in accomplishing the work of God.  Holy Spirit, please anoint me and empower me to continue the mission and work of Christ.  I want to join you in preaching the good news of the Kingdom and demonstrating your love and power through healing people and setting them free in Christ.  If the Son sets you free, then you are free, indeed.  Lord, please use my life to bring freedom, peace, and love to people around me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment