Monday, October 24, 2016

More than possessions

Luke 12:15‭, ‬22‭-‬23‭, ‬30‭-‬34 NIV
Then [Jesus] said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."  ... Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.  For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. ... For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.    "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.  Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I took Beau and Jude on our first Cub Scout camp out this weekend.  We went to Caballo Riversite State Park.  I have been thinking recently about how if I want to raise my children to be disciples of Jesus, then I need to spend quality time with them.  And I want them to see ana accurate perspective of our Heavenly Father.  He is pleased to give us the kingdom.  I don't think that means that I should give my kids a bunch of toys, but I do think it means I should be intentional and strategic about giving them time and resources to learn and grow as disciples of Christ.  I want my children to see me seeking His kingdom.  I want them to see that the Lord is my treasure, and my heart is with Him.  Which means, I want the Lord to actually be my treasure.  How do I make Him my treasure, instead of being distracted by the things of this world?

Luke 12:47‭-‬48 NIV
"The servant who knows the master's will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows.  But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

In my opinion, this is one of the most sobering statements of Jesus, especially because I think He has entrusted me with much.  He has given me a lot of opportunities and resources.  Oh, Lord, may I be humble, faithful, and profitable with your investments in me.

This afternoon, I am scheduled to travel to North Carolina for the two-day annual summit of the Accord Network. This is an association of Christian organizations that focus on ending poverty around the world.  The subject of this year's Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) meetings is collaboration, even between Christian and "secular" organizations (such as public universities).  Since early college, I have wanted to help give people clean drinking water and living water, and I feel a sense of expectation and destiny associated with this conference this week.  I believe that God is going to show me how I can use my skills and opportunities as a professor at a research university to collaborate with evangelical organizations around the world.

Heavenly Father, thank you for taking care of us.  Thank you for providing for our needs.  Thank you for salvation, my family, and my vocation.  Lord Jesus, I want you to be my treasure, and I want you to have my heart.  And I want the same for my family.  Holy Spirit, please anoint me as I travel today, and give me awareness of your presence and direction.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment