Thursday, October 6, 2016

Thirsty?

As I read the account of Jesus talking to the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4), I was impressed with the physical reality of Jesus's thirst.  He was tired and thirsty, and it was midday.  I think about how thirsty I would be if I had been walking all morning in El Paso during the summer.

The Samaritan woman was shocked that Jesus spoke to her.  In her mind, Jesus broke ethnic and gender taboos by speaking to her.  I don't imagine that Jesus was concerned with the cultural expectations; I think He was really thirsty.  But then He changed the subject:

10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

I used to think that Him asking for a drink of water and then changing the subject was a bait and switch.  And, depending on how you read it, it might even sound a little arrogant.  But Jesus is not tricky or arrogant.  I think He genuinely started the conversation because He was physically thirsty.  And I think, when He looked at the woman, He was spiritually sensitive to notice her spiritual condition, and He addressed her need out of compassion.  The Holy Spirit gave Him insight to see her spiritual need.  In spite of His strong biological impulse for a drink of water, Jesus was still able to perceive the spiritual situation and respond in love:

13 Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

Heavenly Father, I am thirsty for more of you.  Lord Jesus, fill me up and overflow me with a spring of living water.  Holy Spirit, help me be attentive and perceptive to spiritual needs around me, even amidst normal daily routine activities.  I want to worship you in spirit and in truth.  Please teach me what that means.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment