Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Knowing and growing

This morning, I read Jesus's parable of the sower, seed, and four soil types in Mark, Matthew, and Luke.  as a teacher, it is interesting to me that in Matthew's record of Jesus's explanation of the parable, a critical factor is explaining the Gospel message clearly so that people can understand it and receive it:

Matthew 13:19 NIV
When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path.

Every time I read this parable, I feel a challenge to produce fruit.  Of course, it is a collaboration with the Lord.  This morning, I am thinking about the original planted seed (the Word of God) being reproduced in my life and planted in others' lives.

Mark 4:20 NIV
Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown."

As a farm boy, I think about how the seed is in the fruit.  As the fruit of the Spirit is produced in my life, the Gospel message is there with it.

Heavenly Father, please grow your Word in me.  Produce fruit and seed in my life, and plant it in others.  And may I be a disciple maker who leads them to produce a hundred fold increase, as well.  Holy Spirit, grow me and use me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment