Thursday, August 23, 2007

central focus

Luke 10:41 But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her."
I was really touched by the story of Martha getting overwhelmed with cooking dinner and getting upset that Mary wasn't helping her.  Jesus told her that she had found the only thing that really matters.  I want to be enthralled by Jesus; I want to seek Him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  I want to keep my eyes focused on Jesus for He is the foundation, initiator, sustainer, and protector of my faith.
 
A practical compliment to this core principle is detailed in 1 Timothy 6 and 2 Timothy 2:
6:11 But you, Timothy, are a man of God; so run from all these evil things. Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight for the true faith. Hold tightly to the eternal life to which God has called you, which you have confessed so well before many witnesses. 13 And I charge you before God, who gives life to all, and before Christ Jesus, who gave a good testimony before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you obey this command without wavering. Then no one can find fault with you from now until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. 15 For at just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords. 16 He alone can never die, and he lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach him. No human eye has ever seen him, nor ever will. All honor and power to him forever! Amen.
 
1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.  8 So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. And don't be ashamed of me, either, even though I'm in prison for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News. 9 For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus. 10 And now he has made all of this plain to us by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good News. 11 And God chose me to be a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of this Good News.  12 That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.   13 Hold on to the pattern of wholesome teaching you learned from me—a pattern shaped by the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus. 14 Through the power of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, carefully guard the precious truth that has been entrusted to you.
It is through Jesus that I know the Father, and I can commune with the Singular-Trinitarian GOD as the Holy Spirit lives within me!
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing yourself to me through your Son, Jesus Christ.  Jesus, thank you for revealing the Father to me.  Holy Spirit, thank you for living in me and changing me into a new person.  I praise you for your incredible identity, and I thank you for your grace and mercy towards me.  Lord, may I be loving and compassionate toward the people around me.  Lord, I ask you to teach me to run from wickedness and cling to you as you give me righteousness, a godly life, faith, love, perseverance, gentleness.  I pray this in the Name of Jesus.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment