Thursday, August 9, 2007

Paul's conclusions and introductions

 
Paul boils down some complex theology into simple summary statements in some of his conclusions and introductions (e.g., Galatians and Ephesians, respectively).  It is especially refreshing, when caught up in the minutia of daily life, to reflect on God's eternal magnificence, sovereignty, and grace, which have profound ramifications for personal application:
Galatians 6:4 Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else. 5 For we are each responsible for our own conduct.  ...  7 Don't be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. 8 Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. 9 So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up. 10 Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith. 
Galatians 6:12 Those who are trying to force you to be circumcised want to look good to others. They don't want to be persecuted for teaching that the cross of Christ alone can save . 13 And even those who advocate circumcision don't keep the whole law themselves. They only want you to be circumcised so they can boast about it and claim you as their disciples.   14 As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world's interest in me has also died. 15 It doesn't matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation. 16 May God's peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God.  17 From now on, don't let anyone trouble me with these things. For I bear on my body the scars that show I belong to Jesus.  18 Dear brothers and sisters, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.
An introspective response:  "Do I 'bear on my body the scars that show I belong to Jesus'?  I am ashamed to say it, but I know nothing of the suffering of Christ.
Ephesians 1:6 So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son. 7 He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. 8 He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding.  9 God has now revealed to us his mysterious plan regarding Christ, a plan to fulfill his own good pleasure. 10 And this is the plan: At the right time he will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth. 11 Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for your perfect plan.  I praise you because you are eternal.  Lord, I praise you for your rich kindness and grace, and I thank you for purchasing our freedom with the blood of your Son and forgiving our sins.  Lord, thank you that this is not strictly objective and abstract, but subjective in that you fill us with your Holy Spirit and change our minds and motives with your wisdom and understanding.  Thank you for this glorious inheritance of sonship in Grace.  Lord, I praise you for your sovereignty, which assures me that you will make everything work out according to your plan.  Lord, may I represent you today and the rest of my life.  Lord, may I humbly accept the scars that will prove my allegiance to Christ, for I pledge my life to my Redeemer, and I will gladly preach the Good News that the "cross of Christ alone can save"!  I pray this in the powerful name of Jesus Christ, my King who will reign forever!  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Buddy,

    What book of the Bible did you say you read a chapter everyday from?

    Good to see you again!

    JAV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the chapter of Proverbs for whatever day of the month it is, a chapter in the Gospels, and two chapters from the "non-Gospels." This allows me to read the NT four times per year.

    ReplyDelete