Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Gospel everywhere

 
Before I began systematically reading the New Testament less than a year ago, I believed that I was supposed to share the Gospel but I questioned the method I had been taught in my evangelical church.  However, since reading the NT several times this past year, I realize that we are indeed supposed to be bold about sharing the Gospel because the NT is stuffed-full with repeated explanations of the Gospel.  It is the central focus of the NT, and it should be the central focus of my life.  With great boldness and sincere love, I must preach the Gospel over and over and over, with whatever Biblical analogies are helpful for a person to understand the simple complexity of the Gospel message.
 
Galatians 4 and 5 document this inextricable duality: preaching the Gospel and living a life that proves it.
Galatians 4:3 And that's the way it was with us before Christ came. We were like children; we were slaves to the basic spiritual principles of this world.   4 But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. 5 God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children. 6 And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, "Abba, Father."
 
Galatians 5:1 So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don't get tied up again in slavery to the law. ... 16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses. ...  22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!  24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your Son to die on the cross to pay the death penalty of my sin.  Lord, thank you for sending your Holy Spirit to dwell in my life and make me into a person that emulates Jesus Christ.  Lord, please help me to obey the spirit and to crucify my fleshly passions; I want to please you with the pattern of my life.  May my life be full of the fruit of the Spirit and preaching the Gospel.  I pray this in the Name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment