Monday, August 20, 2007

teaching

 
My family has a Christian heritage (this is not what makes me a Christian, mind you, but it challenges me to follow their example of seeking Christ).  My grandfather set an example of humble, consistent teaching; he taught Sunday School for 52 years.  My parents have taught several age groups of Sunday School for many years.  One of my former disciplers challenged me to consider teaching the Bible.  Hence, I've been considering volunteering to substitute teach Bible Life group (our local church's equivalent of Sunday School) for some time, but I haven't been very proactive about it.   
 
This week our church hired a new staff member to administer and facilitate the creation and operation of a systematic discipleship program at our church.  "Coincidentally," our church staff member overseeing the young married department of which I am a part decided to switch Bible Life study material to a web-based resource.  His assistant sent a notification email last week to all current teachers and potential teachers in our department, and it really got me thinking and praying about it.  I have started reading the book, Teaching to Change Lives, by Dr. Howard Hendricks, and it is very encouraging and engaging.  Reading the beginning of this book has me excited about being a teacher that God uses to lead others to a closer walk with Jesus Christ.
 
Moreover, after the Bible Life lesson yesterday, the director of our Bible Life group asked me if I had ever considered teaching. I told him that I had, and that it was something presently on my mind.  A few minutes later, in a separate conversation with a few couples in our Bible Life group, someone else made a "random" comment about me teaching Bible Life.  Well, basically, I feel that God has confirmed His leading me to teach.
 
Not surprisingly, a couple of verses caught my attention from 1 Timothy 1 this morning in reference to this teaching context:
3 When I left for Macedonia, I urged you to stay there in Ephesus and stop those whose teaching is contrary to the truth. 4 Don't let them waste their time in endless discussion of myths and spiritual pedigrees. These things only lead to meaningless speculations, which don't help people live a life of faith in God.   5 The purpose of my instruction is that all believers would be filled with love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith.
I make these these scriptures from 2 Thessalonians my prayer for me as a teacher and those I teach:
1:11 So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of his call. May he give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do. 12 Then the name of our Lord Jesus will be honored because of the way you live, and you will be honored along with him. This is all made possible because of the grace of our God and Lord, Jesus Christ.
3:1 Finally, dear brothers and sisters, we ask you to pray for us. Pray that the Lord's message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes, just as when it came to you. 2 Pray, too, that we will be rescued from wicked and evil people, for not everyone is a believer. 3 But the Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one. 4 And we are confident in the Lord that you are doing and will continue to do the things we commanded you. 5 May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment