Wednesday, August 29, 2007

rest

 
At approximately 2:00 AM this morning, my wife and I were rudely and abruptly awakened by a cockroach crawling across my wife's face!  Fortunately, we found it on the floor and smashed it with a shoe.  We got back in bed, and we were almost asleep when BAM! It happened again!  That creepy little bugger had limped back up in the sheets!  Well, needless to say, we were quite startled and frazzled and paranoid about every little itch or tingle we felt.  About an hour passed, and neither of us could go back to sleep.  I was thinking, is it absurd to think that this little complication was an attack by the Enemy to irritate us, make us bitter, and steal our peace by causing us to fear?  I began to pray out loud that we know that God is sovereign, and that Jesus is our rest - He is our Sabbath.  I prayed that we would sleep well, and that God would protect us from the enemy's attacks and give us the peace that passes all understanding - casting out all fear.  Wouldn't you know it, within a few minutes we went to sleep, and we didn't wake up bitter or angry.  In fact, we had quite a few chuckles about it this morning.  (By the way, I did leave a terse but reasonable voice message regarding pest management services with the apartment manager.)
 
What made me record this little anecdote is the powerful correlation to the Scripture passages in my daily reading.  In Hebrews 3, the author talks about God's rest and develops through chapter 4 the notion that His rest is not strictly a physical rest, but a spiritual rest:
8For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.   12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. ... 14Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
How sweet is that!  When we put our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, we can go humbly and boldly before the throne of the Almighty God, our Father, and receive mercy and grace that is personally and chronologically relevant!  Of course, this reminds me of a recent memory passage (Matthew 11:28-30):
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the redeeming work of your Son, who is our compassionate High Priest.  Lord, I thank you that you give rest to any who come to you.  I pray that you will help me seek you first, and know that you will work out my life for your glory.  I pray this in Jesus's powerful name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment